[TowerTalk] RADIAL WIRE

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Sat Feb 12 21:18:43 EST 2005

Hi, Mike;

Regarding using aluminum wire for radials:

Aluminum is attacked by alkalinity in the soil, whereas, iron is
protected somewhat by alkalinity.  Some operators report fair service
using steel electric fence wire for radials.  I haven't tried the fence
wire.

I bought a spool, several thousands of feet, of #13 magnet wire
recovered from a transformer for not much money a few years ago and have
been using that.  Don't connect copper directly to either aluminum or to
galvanized steel.  I tie it to aluminum ground plates under the antennas
with stainless steel bolts and ring terminals, so that copper never
touches the aluminum.  I use No-Ox or Ox-Gard and replace it annually on
all the connections.

I don't work real hard at it.  I mow the grass short and pin the radials
to the ground with 'half staples' made of #16 steel wire from a farm
supply store.  I cut it into 4-5 inch lengths and bend a short hook on
one end using two nails held in a vise for a fixture.  I'm careful about
snagging any of the radials until the grass grows over them, and after a
year, have never snagged one.  It took a few hours to bend them and pin
nearly 6000' of radial wire under one of my antennas (antennae?).  I
surveyed the ends of the radials with a tape from the center and a stick
from one end to the next, to space them evenly, and I recall that took
about as much time as putting down the radials.  Maybe I'm an amateur
surveyor!

73 de Red