[TowerTalk] Glastic Standoff insulators

Larry Emery k1uo at uninets.net
Tue Feb 15 14:51:12 EST 2005

I have a half dozen or so Glastic Standoff Insulators that I am wondering if they are ok to use in a homemade base insulator for a 1/4 wave 160m tower.  I was thinking of purchasing two Rohn 25g concrete base plates placing them back to back with 5 of these Glastic insulators between them. (4 corners and center) to support a 130ft Rohn 25g tower.

These insulators are just slightly larger than the newer models but the design is exactly the same as shown in any search of Glastic insulators on the web.  The spec for these type (Seriesl 1461-1C) shows a 60K pound compression strength

These units are 3 inches wide X 2.5 inches high with bolt insets in each end to take 5/8 threaded bolt.    I measured the bolt inserts for depth and estimate at least an inch of insulating material between the inserts themselves.

these were manufactured by Electric Service mfg co of philadelphia but each is stamped with the (glastic) logo.

Larry