[TowerTalk] RF Inquiry HI-Q Filter CF5KV?

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Feb 20 19:54:56 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux at earthlink.net>

> I think you're right, Mike. However, they are faced by the same limited
time
> resources as are we all.  They're also somewhat restricted by their policy
> of only testing things that they buy themselves on the open market (a good
> thing, in general, because it keeps a mfr from submitting a "golden" test
> article), so there's a budget limit. An interesting question would be
> whether they get their investment back when the resell the test articles.
> suspect also that ARRL (because they want to resell the item, or out of
> general policy) won't test an item to destruction or damage.  You'll not
> see, for instance, high power breakdown/failure tests of items.  It would
be
> nice to see them test things like antenna tuners (rated at typically
100-200
> W) to see where they fail.

Yes, that is where forum's like this can come in. Why pay an
engineer or test lab to do destructive testing when your
customers will pay you full price for the priviledge of doing
it :):)

> Now, lets say I was going to devote half a dozen test articles for testing
> (assuming I send them off to ARRL, who has generously offered to test them
> for free).. That's $240 in costs, which is the gross profit on almost 50
> units.  Will I sell 50 more units by testing?  Nope... Heck, I'd probably
be

Yeah, why use real data. Fake data is much less expensive
and will usually sell more units :):) As long as the percentage of
people who don't know any better is (and will stay) significantly
larger than the percentage who do, the fake data route will be
the more profitable business model (especially if all your
competitors are lying too).