[TowerTalk] parasitic 4-square for 40 meters

G.E. Tucker gtucker at bostoneng.com
Mon Feb 21 03:26:10 EST 2005

Yes, the 1/2 wave dipole sloper array was described in an older (70s/80s)
ARRL antenna book, I believe.

I happened to find a web site by a W4 on the Internet that described using
this idea to make a 2 element fixed delta loop (40M) beam using trees for
support. An Ameritron switch (RCS-8V) switchs both coax shield and center,
to open the 1/8 wave coax feed going to the box to make that element appear
longer, as a director, so you can have 2 beam directions.

I tried this idea but used dipoles instead, to make a 2-element wire yagi
supported from trees. I first did one for 40M and then one for 30M. The 40M
one is only up about 45 feet or so, but the performance is about the same
for Europe as a 40M four square I have (Array Solutions phasing
unit/controller) beaming in that direction (60 1/4 wave radials under each
vertical).

Particularly for someone who has taller trees around to support them, I
would suggest maybe two of these 40M 2 element wire Yagis, as that would
give 4 switchable directions, and not having to worry about radials,
phasing, etc. Or just put one up quickly to see how it works, and go from
there.

73, George W5VU (Massachusetts)