[TowerTalk] RF Inquiry HI-Q Filter CF5KV

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 21 18:09:36 EST 2005

Thanks, I did not know about this. I looked for a price but did not find
one.

The 213 is a step in the right direction with the higher breakdown voltage
but including 160 in the coverage is a stretch.  I have a hunch the beads
are 43.
Somewhere on there they say the Z on 160 is 270 ohms or in that ballpark.
That's not really enough to do much good.  They say their chokes add up to
the equivalent of 28 feet of feedline in 9 turns of coil.  As a coax choke
that would be okay on say, 15 meters but I think on 1.8 mhz you need about 4
times that much feed on a wider diameter form--I'd use 16 or 18 inches.

I'll give them this--they come forth with some helpful specs about their
product, which is probably fine for higher frequencies.
As always, my opinions only.

Rob/K5UJ

<<<Take a look at this site:  http://users.erols.com/rfc/Choke%20Kit.htm

This item is a 2 ft piece of RG-213 with a male and female UHF connector
attached. I have one but it has not been tested.

Here is an excerpt from their page on this product:

Specifications
Frequency:  1.8 – 60 MHz
Through-line impedance:  50 ohms (nominal)
Insertion loss: less than 0.2 dB at 60 MHz
Common mode inductance: 24 uH (nominal)
Power handling: 2kW continuous duty
Load mismatch tolerance:  greater than 5:1 VSWR at 2kw
Connectors:  PL-259 and SO-239
Ferrite material:  seven Fair-Rite P/N 2643102002 (850 Initial Perm, 2900
gauss at 10 oersteds, nickel-zinc)>>>>