[TowerTalk] parasitic 4-square for 40 meters

Chris Adams n4vi at arrl.net
Tue Feb 22 00:55:07 EST 2005

Ron,

My suggestion would be to use the standard 4-square array layout and add a
center element.  The center element would be the driven element and the 4
parasitic elements would be directors/reflectors/no effect.  I suspect that
the two side elements would be non-contributors, leaving the "rear" element
as a reflector and the "forward" element as a director. Two ways to tune the
parasitic elements come to mind:

	1.  Bring coax back to a center switch box.  I think the best idea
would be that all coax length be cut equal to provide the correct reactance
to be either a reflector or director.  Additional reactance would then have
to be added to either the front or rear elements (via the coax) to get the
desired effect.  Modeling would dictate what to do with the side elements.

	2.  The other possibility is to have tunable/switchable reactance at
the base of each parasitic array and change the reactance to change
direction.

I don't maintain that this solution is either easier to implement or offers
better performance then a standard 4 square array.

Another idea in regards to a parasitic array is the Spitfire array invented
by Fred Hopengarten (K1VR) and John Kaufman (W1FV).  You can read about it
at this link:  http://www.yccc.org/Articles/Spitfire/spitfire.htm

73

Chris, n4vi