[TowerTalk] looking for rohn J bolts and TB4 bearings

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Tue Feb 22 11:53:27 EST 2005

>     You don't need anything special. You can use allthread from your local
>hardware store - it's the same material. Just double nut a couple of big
>washers
>at the bottom and you'll be in business. US Towers welds nuts on their anchor
>rods but this'll do the same thing.

Steve, are you SURE of this?  Because the serious J-bolts that I have seen for
tower work have been a LOT better than All-Thread.

And in fact the Rohn SSV drawings D-700200 and D-700300 specify that the
anchor bolts must be "ASTM A-325 quality".   I believe that to be a lot
different than "All Thread".

Don't think you can require A-325 bolts between sections and NOT require
them between the bottom section and the concrete base.  Since these
are working the hardest.

A325 bolts less than one inch in diameter need to be 120,000 psi tensile
and over one inch need to be 105,000 psi tensile.  And they are Medium
Carbon Steel: Quenched and Tempered.  I am "pretty" certain that All-Thread
will not meet this spec!   ;-)

73--John  W0UN