[TowerTalk] Ground system design, RF vs AC

Martin AA6E msembx-aa6e at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 22:31:41 EST 2005

I bought a bunch of PolyPhaser and other parts for a single point
ground system for the radio room.  Now I have to figure how I'm really
going to use them.  My problem is how to relate the "SPG" for the radio
gear to the AC system ground for the house.  Ideally, they are one and
the same, and the RF entrance is right next to the the AC entrance and
distribution panel.

Things are far from ideal.  From the radio room to the distribution
panel is a run of 30 ft+, and from there to the AC system ground is
another 35-40 ft to the water pipe entrance.  The shack is on an
exterior wall only a couple of feet from real earth.  The house also
has lightning rods with their own downleads and grounds.

My PolyPhaser AC filter will solidly attach the AC system ground to my
"SPG" bulkhead through the green wire.  So I want to run a
low-inductance lead from the SPG to "earth", but where do I run it?  To
the AC panel?  To the waterpipe ground? To a new ground system outside
the shack?

Some folks have recommended a perimeter ground loop.  Should that cross
connect everything including the lightning rod grounds?  My head begins
to spin.

Oh yes, the house is built on granite ledge with only a few feet of
actual earth around us...

There is more on the PolyPhaser AC device and these issues at
http://blog.aa6e.net.

Suggestions welcome!

73, Martin AA6E