[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Safety Equipment

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Mon Jan 3 18:46:19 EST 2005

And, if I may make my regularly scheduled transmission of safety
information concerning fall protection.

One poster mentioned that he only used a rope lanyard rather than a
shock absorbing lanyard, which is to be attached to the D Ring on the
back of your full body harness.  When the average 300 lb. individual
falls, if the fall is abruptly stopped like when using a non shock
absorbing lanyard, the force exerted on the body and harness is about
5000 lbs.  That's enough to tear you up.  Using a shock absorbing
lanyard, the forces are mitigated down to about 500 lbs.  When that is
applied to a properly fitting full body harness, those loads are
transferred to the strongest bones in the body, your hips.

The poster from below mentions the safety cable, which is a good idea
except it must also be designed properly.  OSHA dictates that all fall
protection attachment points be capable of withstanding a 5000 lb.
load.  3/8 wire rope has a working load limit of less than 3000 lbs.
Also, the attachment up top must be very robust.  Inquiring minds may
want to know.  Be safe, Phil  KB9CRY