[TowerTalk] yv5mbx - QSK question

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Wed Jan 5 15:32:43 EST 2005

I ran QSK as a Novice many, many, many years ago. At that time I only hoped
to make 13 WPM.

> Javier,
>
> QSK will allow you to hear received characters between your sent
> characters.
> That is useful when trying to break a pile-up or when you are operating a
> net.  At even 12WPM, that can be useful.
>
> The only disadvantages--to me, anyway--are:
>
> 1)  Depending on whether your radio and amplifier switch electronically or
> with a relay, the constant switching can get a little noisy and can put
> some
> wear on relays
>
> 2)  If there is a lot of background noise on the signal, it can rive you a
> little crazy to hear the noise between characters or words that you are
> sending.

To some extent this depends  on your AGC delay.
I never ran with the AGC off.  It served as a "sort of" noise blanker
between characters.

S40B with Heatkit Q multiplier, Viking Ranger, and a 12AT7 TR switch.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com