[TowerTalk] Torque balancing

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Sun Jan 9 11:22:51 EST 2005

Hello to John, Tod, and all TTs:

I am very interested in obtaining copies of the articles mentioned by
John and Tod.  I hope I am not too old to learn from them and thus
correct the errors of my thinking.

Do you agree with the following simple experiment to demonstrate the
correctness of your ad absurdum example?  If so, let us see if the
combination of peer review and multiple independent confirmations by the
testing will support or reject the theory.

Build a model of a boom,  simply a tube of handily available material
and dimensions, pivoted at its geometric center.  I don't believe it is
necessary to achieve a 40 ft by 3 inch diameter simulation; use what you
have handy.  Mount it where it is exposed to wind and observe that it
has little or no tendency to weather vane.

Add a simulated antenna element to one end of the simulated boom.  Mount
it, pivoted at the center of the boom as before, and observe its
behavior in wind.

If the results are unclear, continue by putting two experiments in the
wind at the same time: one simulating a balanced boom with no element
and one simulating the same boom but with a simulated element at one end.

If the result remains ambiguous, add a weather vane or wind sock in the
same wind to clearly indicate the wind direction and a subjective
measure of gustiness.  Add a torque measuring element to the simulated
booms for a quantitative assessment, with due regard for the
inaccuracies, of the torques.  That might be base on weights, springs,
or other principles that you may prefer and find convenient to assemble.

I welcome the improvement of this proposal by others and I particularly
welcome seeing reports of those who complete an experiment.

As a picture is to deductive discourse, so are experimental results
proportional to analyses.

I look forward to seeing the referenced documents by Mr. Weber as well
as the results of measurements by all who attempt them.

73 de WOØW