[TowerTalk] Torque balancing...try that with a lattice structure boom

VE6JY Don Moman ve6jy at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Sun Jan 9 19:10:24 EST 2005

A calculated solution to a wind balance situation becomes even more complex
when the boom is a lattice structure (tower sections) and therefore presents
a variable wind area that increases due to turbulence at higher wind speeds.
And I didn't want to use more tower sections for the sail...  This was the
situation with my 4 el 80m yagi on a 76' boom. It isn't close to being wind
balanced when it is close to being weight balanced. There is about 30 feet
of tower on the reflector and about 46 feet on the other.  If you're
wondering why it isn't better balanced for wind - I want to be able to reach
the feed point DE connections from the tower.  My first try was to "fill"
the last 10 feet of the boom with aluminum plate. This proved to be not
nearly enough.  I wound up putting about 15 sq ft of aluminum plate out
under the reflector end.  Now in low winds it weather vanes up wind, in
moderate winds it is very undecided and higher winds make it point downwind,
as before.  It's a lot less torque on the mast and rotor system in any case.
However since I added the 150 feet of 4.5 inch mast and mounted the rotor
(with shear pin) at the bottom, everything has become so much easier to work
on...

73 Don
VE6JY