[TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant

Keith Dutson kjdutson at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 11 10:17:59 EST 2005

I need to weatherproof a relay box.  Under test conditions it accumulated an
inch of water in the bottom over a six month period.  What is a specific
brand of silicone sealant recommended?  I understand the kind with vinegar
smell (acetic acid) will corrode electronics components in a sealed
environment.  Also, is there a need to insert a desiccant in the box?

The box is NEMA industrial type, made of plastic with neoprene o-ring seal
on lid.  However, there are many holes drilled for stainless hardware used
to mount the relay and connect wires to the exterior.  The relay itself is
the open contact variety with self-cleaning contacts (hot switch 20 watts
RF), and supposedly impervious to damp conditions.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith NM5G