[TowerTalk] Ham radio vs. satellite dishes

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Tue Jan 11 11:13:17 EST 2005

Fellow Tower Talk members:

I'm considering changing from cable tv to one of the dish systems.  Has
anyone had any problems with RFI, etc. to dish systems vs. cable and HF
or VHF transmissions?  I use a 10 element log periodic at 50 ft. with a
Collins 30-L-1 and a Kenwood TS 430S that I usually load to maybe 500 watts.

Some of the dish systems, that "advertise" giving you four digital
boxes, actually give you only two and the other two sets are controlled
via some type of RF link. My current QTH is so RF "tight" that cell
phones don't work inside.  Inside my house (built in 1983) my cell phone
often shows "roaming, out of area, or no signal" and we live less than a
mile from an AT&T cell tower in the middle of the Dallas/Fort Worth
area.   Oh your phone will ring inside my QTH, but to actually maintain
a conversation you have to go outside.

Does the "dish" need to be located far from my crankup tower?  I've
dealt with cable rfi problems and have been able to solve most of them,
like loose fittings from the pole to the house that leak cable signals
and in reverse let in RF energy.

 Fortunately my neighbors know how much I want to and do cooperate that
they don't say anything any more, but if I hear through the grapevine
that one of them is having an RFI problem I immediately offer my limited
service and at least do a visual inspection.  Like the time I found a
varmint had chewed through the jacket, shielding, and dielectric on one
neighbors cable leaving only several feet of bare RG59 copper center
conductor showing.  Besides my RFI, they were also receiving cable
signals on TVs in their home NOT connected to cable on channels 2-13, no
UHF TV channels.  They'd get Showtime on Channel 2, Movie channel on 3,
HBO on channel 6, etc.  Yes this happened, I saw it and then did some
tracking, at the homeowner's invitation of course,  and found about 3
feet of RG59 or RG6 that was stapled along the edge of the house
entirely stripped bare to the center conductor.  What was amazing was
how good a reception of cable signals on a TV with just rabbit ears was
being received.  I knew the  area tech rep at the time for the cable
company and he got a technician out and had their problem fixed in a
hurry since he and I had worked around our town to resolve cable/ham RFI
issues.

Unfortunately he's not with the cable company any more and their techs
aren't always very knowledgeable about RFI issues, like the one tech who
came to my house to fix a problem and just pointed to my 50 foot crank
up tower and immediately said it was causing RFI, even before he checked
his company's cable installation.

Also I notice most cable companies are going from the old RG59 to RG6
now for home service as they "say" the RG6 gives them better specs on
digital signals.

73 de Tom, WW5L

bandwidth" for digital