[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G and Ice Loading

Joe - WDØM WD0M at centurytel.net
Tue Jan 11 15:30:20 EST 2005

Lived on the coast of Alaska for quite a few years - we had a heck of an
ice storm, resulting in up to 3 inches of ice on my tower and
antennas.  There is a picture on my old web site:

http://www.xyz.net/~joe/

The picture appeared in QST a couple of years ago.  The tower stood tall -
and we had winds of 125 mph as well.  The antenna pictured is a Mosley
Pro57B-40, with a Cushcraft 5 element 6 meter yagi on top.  The guys were
Philystran, and had a 3 inch coating of ice on them.  I'd guess that it
takes a lot to bring down a well-guyed Rohn 25G.

73,
Joe
WDØM (Ex-WL7M)