[TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Tue Jan 11 17:46:02 EST 2005

In Texas fire ants can probably get into anything waterproof or anything
proof.

This isn't about an antenna relay box but its related.  Years ago on my
father's farm  south Whitesboro TX, just south of the Red River, he had
two remote controlled gates at the entrance.  For both motors he had
control boxes and I helped him and an electrician weather seal these two
boxes tighter than a Federal Reserve bank vault.  But somehow the fire
ants would build their mounds underneath the boxes (the boxes were
elevated slightly off the ground at first) find a way in and make a real
mess of the motor relays, circuit breakers etc.  We tried everything to
keep them out but even though we put out all kinds of insecticide around
these boxes and the fire ant mounds, they'd come back and do a number on
the insides of the boxes.  An entomologist with the County Agent's
office said they were somehow attracted to the hum the relays would make
at times.

My father would even mount the boxes higher and higher off the ground
and the fire ants would still somehow find a way into these relay boxes.
    Dad had to replace the entire box and relay system a couple times in
addition to the cleanout we'd do periodically on the fire ants.  The
problem for us anyway ended when my father sold his farm.  Don't know
what the new owners did.

Tom, WW5L