[TowerTalk] RE: Downloading terrain data for use with HFTA

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Thu Jan 13 21:33:35 EST 2005

I think it is probably really easy to overkill this problem.  HFTA only
uses one datapoint per 30 meters anyway.

The USGS data are 1 arc-second resolution -- same as SRTM.  I think the
elevation accuracy is +/- 1 meter, or maybe it is 1-meter resolution, but
either way the data points are pretty far apart.

I like overlaying TIGER to get the same effect as Mike gets with his aerial
photo data -- either way it can help you get your tower base in the right
place.

As N6BV says in his HFTA documentation, trying to infuse too much meaning
into a .1 or .2 difference in the weighted average gain (figure of merit)
is unjustified anyway.

73, Pete N4ZR