[TowerTalk] Moth Balls

ABowenN4OO abowen at nettally.com
Fri Jan 14 07:05:25 EST 2005

I was about to publish a note similar to K3ND's, regarding insects and moth
bolls. I opened my relay box out on the tower and found stacks of lady bugs
doing unlady like things inside the box. In addition, there were a number
of wasp clusters and spider webs.

I put 5 moth balls in a small diameter glass jar and taped it inside the
relay box (12 X 18"). No more insects. I have done the same for my remote
Beverage boxes which are loved by spiders, but a single ball will do for
those.

I am not sure about the composition but think the major ingredient is
naptha. I put the moth balls in a glass jar because I was not sure of the
effect of naptha on the various plastics. Plastic pill containers should
also work for a time also per K3ND. I suspect the balls will evaporate with
time and require replacement.

I also intend on dropping one or 2 on fire ant hills and see if I can get
them to move.

INK N4OO