[TowerTalk] Station Ground

Bill Aycock baycock at direcway.com
Sun Jan 16 13:00:45 EST 2005

>Tom Rauch, et al-
Time and LOTS of reading and checking have taught me that not heeding Your
(Tom R) advice is a bad idea.

Usually
and
However.
(There is ALWAYS this pair of caveats.)

My memory of reading many installation manuals ( and- I DO read them) tells
me that the usual instruction is to wire directly to the battery post, but
through fuses in BOTH lines. The pertinent passage in the Yaesu FT-2500M
manual is:
"To minimize voltage drop and avoid blowing the car fuses, connect the
supplied DC cable directly to the battery terminal. Do not attempt to
defeat or bypass the fuse- it  is there to protect you and the equipment."
This instruction is in MANY manuals, not just from Yaesu. (However, they
(Yaesu) provide only ONE fuse on this radio.) Many manuals add comments
about noise abatement.

I do agree with you, but most manuals do not, and most Hams do tend to
follow these books.
Bill

Bill Aycock - W4BSG
Woodville, Alabama