[TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'

Bill Aycock baycock at direcway.com
Sun Jan 16 15:50:29 EST 2005

In my former existence as a Rocket Engineer, I worked on a 1000 acre plant
site that had many buildings all with lightning protection per MIL spec
(Ordnance corp) In 38 years, the only lightning damage was when a Lab was
hit. Investigation showed that the ground connection had been cut by a
painting contractor. All the buildings had "lightning rods" connected to a
trenched copper braided network. The braided wire was large ( I never
measured it) and was of a complex woven braid. All bends were with large
radii.  Even the covered walkways (often several hundred feet) between
buildings were "protected".
It worked for us.
Bill