[TowerTalk] There's 'ground', and then there's 'ground'

Roger Halstead aviation at rogerhalstead.com
Sun Jan 16 22:43:36 EST 2005

<snip>
> In HF power amplifiers, I have found a good general rule of
> thumb is this:
> At 30 MHz is the clean braid from RG-8 cable has about the
> same current carrying capacity as #14 or 16 tinned solid
> buss wire.

I've replaced quite a few coax cables from the tank coil to the relay on a
number of well known amps.
The braid would get hot, the dielectric melt right where it went into the
shield, and then short.

It was easy to fix and I never saw it damage anything else, except for a few
DXers dispostions. <G>

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com