[TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid/soldering iron

bob finger finger at goeaston.net
Mon Jan 17 11:30:42 EST 2005

I have a very old American Beauty iron I use only for PL259's.It has a
wood handle and cloth covered ac cord.  I suspect it is a minimum of 200
watts, and I let it heat up for 30 minutes or so before using it on
coax/connectors.  My  240 watt gun that does not have a big enough  tip
area to do the job properly.   The iron/gun  has to be hot and big
enough to quickly heat the connector.  Should not take more than a few
seconds to get all four holes to draw solder.  Keep your eyes open for
one of the old irons at garage sales/farm auctions etc...makes all the
difference in the world.    73 bob de w9ge