[TowerTalk] Adding ground rods, effect on ground resistance..

Alan Zack k7acz at cox.net
Mon Jan 17 14:18:09 EST 2005

Question please,
I have three 8 ft ground rods at the base of my tower, connected to
each tower leg, tied together by a nr 2 wire plus tied to my rebar
cage in the concrete (the rods are outside the concrete base) per my
city bldg code.  My coaxes pass through I.C.E. devices that are
connected to the very bottom of the tower.  The coax runs underground
through a PCV tube to the house.  At the house they pass through
Polyphaser devices before entering the wall that are connected to
another 8 ft single ground rod.  There is 25 ft of coax between the
base of the tower and where it enters the house.
Question, should these two grounds be connected (the tower ground rods
and the house ground rod).  Presently they are not.  I was told by the
Cel Tower installer who helped me with my tower installation that I
should not connect them, that the rods at the tower base would handle
any strike I had and I might make things worse by providing another
path to the house by an additional ground wire between the tower and
house.  OK experts, what's your opinion?  I can do it ether way, what
is best?
TIA & 73

Jim Lux wrote:

> [...]

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY