[TowerTalk] Different lightning ground question.

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Jan 17 19:02:21 EST 2005

Jim Lux wrote:
> [...]

There is not much difference in effectiveness for different amounts of
surface area for ground rods. It is the length that counts.

As far as differences in buried horizontal wires verses driven ground
rods, there are two reasons to drive rods:

First, there is better contact with a rod driven into undisturbed soil
than what you get by digging a hole and back filling it with a rod
planted in it. Same of course is true for burying horizontally. The soil
has been disturbed.

Second, when a rod is driven it gets down to where there is more
moisture than if it is buried in a rather shallow trench.

Burying radials is ok if you can not drive a rod in.
It is also good to bury interconnecting leads between ground rods. It
gives more connection to the soil.

73
Gary  k4FMX