[TowerTalk] Lifting Cable termination question

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:44:35 EST 2005

Dave Thonpson Said:
SNIP:
>What I suggest is that you check out the winch and the cable connection at
>the tower leg end.  If you ever need to replace it use a foundry not a boat
>place.  I use bricko blocks under my tower with 2 by 6's to support the
>tower just in case.
>
>The original winch was very flimsy and broke on me years ago.  I got a
>replacement at Granger.  I notice that Northern Electric sell the same
>Fulton Winch...but never use Northern Electric for the clamp.  Their
>machine
>is for boat (horizontal pull) winches and will pull off easily in vertical
>use.

Dave's comments caught my attention, as I am about to buy, fabricate, and
install a new lift cable in a Haeavy Duty old Tristao Tower (Now made by US
Tower)   The Tristao is a 3 section, 54 ft extended length tower.  I am
llooking for the scoop on techniques for terminating the lift cable with a
thimble, and a crimp sleeve, something I used to call Nicopress.   The old
Tristao tower cable's crimp sleeve is about 1.5 " long.   This termination
has human  life critical and tower life critical functions so i need to
recreate the termination properly.  Dave distinguishes horizontal pulls,
from vertical, and differences in strengths of the termination.  How do I do
a safe crimp to install the thimble?
For that matter, does any one supply premade properly terminated lifting
cables for a designated tower    (Tristao 55' heavy duty)

thx, 73, de Pat AA6EG   aa6eg at hotmail.com