[TowerTalk] Frozen Rotor

Mac w8xf at arrl.net
Wed Jan 19 14:06:15 EST 2005

> I've done something similar to what Larry has done; however, I use heavy
> duty, flexible vinyl and fold it into a simple cone.  I wrap the top of
> the cone around the mast above the thrust bearing so it forms an umbrella
> to protect moisture from settling on or into the bearing.  The vinyl can
> obtained as scrap from fabric shops or upholstery shops.

The problem with vinyl up here in the frozen north is it getting brittle.
****
Down here in the frozen South, we use Fernco rubber pipe couplers from Home
Depot or Lowes... fit the small end to your mast, clamp with worm-gear hose
clamp and get the big end big enough to shield the bearing or tower-top
sleeve(no clamp).... NO GREASE NEEDED. Yes, the rubber may deteriorate in
about 20 years.... someone else's problem! We also use Never-Seez in thrust
bearings. Wonderful stuff.

73,
Mac, W8XF