[TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Thu Jan 20 19:13:09 EST 2005

> At 12:18 PM 1/20/2005, Keith Dutson wrote:
>>To me, the answer to your question(s) is simple.  FD grounds should be for
>>RF.  It would be nice to have a safety grounding system with SPG,
>
> I don't think you need SPG in this application..
>
> And, I can't see why you should operate unsafely, with respect to AC power
> distribution. Just because you're at field day doesn't mean you don't have
> to meet various and sundry safety rules (such as RF exposure).

When you can safely get within a few feet of a 75 or 40 meter dipole running
a KW safely and you might be running a tribander at 30 feet with a 100 watts
it's going to be pretty difficult to exceed any RF safety limits.

We ground the generator and all rigs are fed with 3 wire cord and GFIs along
with indicators.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com