[TowerTalk] Grounding, portable generators, field day

R. Kevin Stover rkstover at mchsi.com
Thu Jan 20 22:01:01 EST 2005

Our FD power system is comprised of a 5KW generator with an 8ft copper
clad rod driven in right next to the generator.
The frame of the generator and the genset are grounded at that point.
For distribution we use an Octopus of sorts made up of a main breaker
box with 4 15 amp breakers. Each breaker in the box feeds another steel
box with a quad outlet. The entire system is built using 12/3 romex. It
might be a good idea in a field day situation to use GFCI breakers but I
don't think we've done it yet.

We will continue to run in a steady, gentle type of rain. If we hear
thunder much less see lightning we run for cover.
I've never worked an FD where I haven't gotten wet at some point.
Stringing dipoles in a driving rain is right down there with root canal
for me.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H