[TowerTalk] "Wire"less antenna connection

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Fri Jan 21 15:24:13 EST 2005

 >> Jim Lux wrote:
>> Eliminate all wires to the tower.  Use wi-fi to send digitized audio
>> to the
>> tower base for input to the auto-tuning amplifier.  Rotor control also.
>> Supply AC power only and eliminate coax loss, lightning threat.
>
> I am working on this approach right now, but it will hardly be ready for
> field day this year.

Am awaiting the arrival of a matched set of commercial surplus
wireless RS-232 links (2.4GHz) with a voice channel.

Will be testing that out to see if wireless remote control of
a TenTec Pegasus, Jupiter, or other RS-232 controllable rig
is possible ... again with the goal of eliminating the hardwire
link to the radio room and allowing the tower to be located
further from the house.

Of course defending the rig and wireless unit from lightning,
and providing a remote power source, are challenges.  Am looking
at a big solar charged deep cycle battery for power.

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e

West Central Florida  100% Linux.  Suse 9.2
Halli, Heathkit, Homebrew, SBE, TenTec, Yaesu
Radio Life: http://www.gospelcom.net/twr/
Linux-Incompatible hardware is defective!