[TowerTalk] KLM KT34A cleaning

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 07:30:21 EST 2005

Not a job for the faint of heart......cleaning KLM tubes and straps.

What I have found works best, is to use a VERY fine grade of sandpaper inside
the curved part of the strap and on the outside of the tube.  To make a
better electrical connection where the strap contacts the tube I inserted a small
short stainless steel screw.  Do NOT do this on the capacitor tubes or you may
wind up with a short.

Another thing you might do is to wrap the fiberglass spacers with electrical
tape to minimize the effects of the sun on the fiberglass, or cover it with
liquid electrical tape.

Or, you can spring for around $300 to buy the upgrade kit from M2, which I
have heard is a good investment.

Bill K4XS