[TowerTalk] Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:16:19 EST 2005

SNIP:
Jim Woods Said:

From: "Jim & Velma Woods" <woods at grantspass.com>
Also, a few miles away is a mid-sized mountain which is east of my site.
I used a topo map to determine that the top of the mountain forms an angle
about 15 degrees above the horizon.  Is this high enough to be a concern?
Thanks for your input.
Jim, W7PUP
woods at grantspass.com

Hi Jim,

15 degrees above the horizon is a very large  vertical angle.   I checked
what 15 degrees means at 3 miles and computed an elevation difference of
about 4000 feet, in 3 miles.
Just to check the math, is your mountain to the east,  4000 feet higher than
you are?
If so...it will be a problem for low angle DX signals, as previously
mentioned.

73, de Pat, AA6EG  aa6eg at hotmail.com