[TowerTalk] Shack wiring

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Tue Jan 25 01:06:12 EST 2005

> Aluminum is about the only thing that the power company uses nowadays for
> the drop cable to your house. But you do not want any aluminum inside the
> house.
> Most places do not allow its installation anymore.

Virtually all new homes in this area use tripple ought (000) Aluminum from
the meter to the main breaker panel.  When I built the shop and when I
installed the new breaker panel in the house all I could get was AL.  Any Cu
would have been special order and in those lengths it would have been
*expensive*.  However, beyond the panel code prohibits AL wire.

> If you do have it inside you should retighten the connections about once a
> year. They do loosen up. Be sure to turn off the power when doing so.

That's difficult to do with those big lugs holding the 000 cables.  Just
don't short out the Allen wrench.

Used to be you could call the power company and tell them you were going to
pull the meter and do the job at such and such a time. Now they want it
scheduled and they want some one there.  So far, I've given them some lead
time, told them when I had the work scheduled (me) and that's when it would
be done.  They've complained a bit, but that was all.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com