[BULK] - RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] PL-259 Soldering temperatur e

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Tue Jan 25 11:15:29 EST 2005

A solder station doesn't provide sufficient thermal mass to transfer heat to
a PL-259 connector body.

You obviously have not used a Weller WESD51 or EC1002.  After you "drain"
all of the heat from your "iron" I will still be melting solder on another
PL259.

Respectfully,
Keith NM5G

::Keith, the very bench unit I use is the Weller WESD51PU with pencil and
variety of tips, and I think your assessment is pretty far off-base.  My
SP-120 can continue to solder PL-259 bodies, successfully and quickly, after
it's warmed up, for about four or five connectors *after it's unplugged from
the line,* just using its residual stored energy.  The WESD51, cranked to as
much heat as it can generate, isn't anything even close to this.  I'd be
happy to challenge you to a "solder-off" at a ham gathering somewhere, if we
can both be at the same place, to demonstrate this.  To drain the heat from
the standard SP-120 tip takes pressing the tip to something about the mass
of a bench vise, for about one minute.  -WB2WIK/6