FW: [BULK] - RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] PL-259 Soldering temperature

Daron J. Wilson daron at wilson.org
Tue Jan 25 11:39:05 EST 2005

> ::Keith, the very bench unit I use is the Weller WESD51PU with pencil
and
> variety of tips, and I think your assessment is pretty far off-base.
My
> SP-120 can continue to solder PL-259 bodies, successfully and quickly,
after
> it's warmed up, for about four or five connectors *after it's
unplugged from
> the line,* just using its residual stored energy.  The WESD51, cranked
to as
> much heat as it can generate, isn't anything even close to this.  I'd
be
> happy to challenge you to a "solder-off" at a ham gathering somewhere,
if we
> can both be at the same place, to demonstrate this.  To drain the heat
from
> the standard SP-120 tip takes pressing the tip to something about the
mass
> of a bench vise, for about one minute.  -WB2WIK/6

Sounds like the typical type of challenges one hears in high school, I
guess I'm old.  I've put PL-259's on with a 150 watt gun, propane
soldering iron, 25 watt soldering iron, solder station, heck once I put
one on with a butane lighter....it wasn't pretty, but when one is on a
wildland fire in the middle of nowhere and needs to put the thing on
there, it can work.  Silver plated, nickel plated, or brass can sure
make a difference when one is soldering, as well as what the braid is
(copper, tinned copper).

I, for one, won't be able to attend your 'solder-off' (I'm very tempted
to rename this to what it really sounds like, but I'll let that go).

More than one way to skin a cat, your individual mileage may vary.

73 N7HQR