[TowerTalk] DF Antenna

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 25 12:23:05 EST 2005

At 08:20 AM 1/25/2005, joe sloss wrote:
>This may be stretching "antennas" a bit but....    I'm in need of
>small  "one-hand" carried portable antenna that can be used in the 3-4 MHz
>range to hunt down a persistent noise at my QTH.  I'd prefer to use it
>with my Davco DR-30 rather than buy a small portable SW radio.  Any design
>ideas?
>
>Thanks, Joe k7mks

Since you want some directionality, and it's not for Tx, why not a tuned
loop?  Wind a bunch of turns of some fairly small wire on a suitable frame
(a square a few feet on a side) and tune it with a 365pf cap.

The advantage of a loop in this situation is that it has a very sharp null
(broadside to the loop), which makes DF'ing a bit easier.