[TowerTalk] Installing Ground Rods - Contact with soil

Jim Miller JimMiller at STL-Online.Net
Tue Jan 25 22:02:28 EST 2005

I would think drilling in ground rods may leave a small gap to the soil.  I
dig a small funnel in the ground and then keep it full of water and work the
rod up and down.  It works great but I wonder about the soil contact each
time I do it (hoping the dirt washes back in after a while).

What about buying a bag of salt and adding just enough water to liquefy it
and pouring as much as possible down the hole with the rod?  Seems to me
that would give a very good electrical contact and also enhance the
conduction of the surrounding soil as is soaked into it.  Maybe the
environmentalists will get on me about adding salt to the soil.  I'll make
sure they aren't watching.

Thanks, de Jim KG0KP