[TowerTalk] Telescoping flagpole as home/portable vertical antenna?

Alan NV8A (ex. AB2OS) nv8a at att.net
Sat Jan 29 15:27:21 EST 2005

Yesterday I saw a display of telescoping anodized Al flagpoles that I
wondered about as possibly being suitable for use as a shunt-fed
vertical antenna at home and for Field Day or other portable operations.

These are available in 16', 20' and 25' models and are designed to drop
into a mounting socket embedded in the ground. The sections lock into
place by means of spring-loaded pins.

The contraindications for using such a device as an antenna are the
difficulty of

(a) getting a sufficiently good electrical contact between the sections

and

(b) finding a suitable feed point without having to scrape off the
anodizing at many different points in search of a position that works.

Other comments?

Alan NV8A