[TowerTalk] R8 vs 6BTV, etc.

K8RI on Tower Talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Sat Jan 29 23:21:49 EST 2005

The antenna is installed as per the instructions.  It works well on all but
20 meters.
When I say it's deaf on 20, I mean you only hear a few weak signals. It's
something far more than take off angle.  It really does act like a dummy
load on 20.

> Roger,
>
>> I have an AV 640 on a brand X Aluminum tower mounted on the
>> West end of my shop.  It works very well on 40 and quite
>> good on the rest of the bands except 20.  The match is good,
>> but it appears to be a good dummy load on 20.  I've never
>> taken the time to trouble shoot it to find out the problem.
>> It has a good looking SWR curve that is very close to what
>> the manual predicts, but it neither hears, or gets out well
>> on 20.
>
> Are the "radials" (counterpoise) connected to your tower?  You

I'd have to take the thing down to look, but they are attached as per the
directions

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com