[TowerTalk] R8 vs 6BTV, etc.

William B. Stacy WStacy at uwyo.edu
Sun Jan 30 12:02:14 EST 2005

Hi, All:

The vertical comparison report is a published book, which, like the tribander book, has test protocol, data, observations, and is comb bound.  I bought it a while back and found the information quite useful.  Intriguingly, each vertical has its own merits and drawbacks, and selection is a matter of personal preference and economics.  I really think it's worth the seventeen bucks or whatever Steve charges for it.

I've had various verticals, trapped and non-trapped, for HF.  Right now, I'm using the R8, which has been a good performer.  (The new Yagis, which replace wind damaged units will go up this spring.)  No, it will not give you the strongest signal on the band or beat out a good Yagi on a reasonable tower.  (I think Cushcraft's gain figures are overly optimistic.)  When the band is open, however, it performs credibly; I've worked DXCC on 30M and KL7 and KH6 on 6M.  As Cushcraft states, it should be mounted at least 10 feet above the ground.  However, much higher mounting will emphasize high-angle radiation.

In summary, my two cents' worth is to go ahead and spend the money for the vertical book and then make your decision based on what is best for your situation.

Bill, K7EY