[TowerTalk] rope recommendations

Roy Thistle roy.thistle at utoronto.ca
Mon Jul 4 23:45:24 EDT 2005

Hi:

For my dipoles, I have had good luck with braided polyester rope (3/16
inch). There are a lot of critters around here, and they don't seem to be
attracted to it.  Polyester, I believe, has the best u.v. resistance of
the common synthetic rope materials. It has excelent abrasion resistance
too, for sliding over tree branches. It also resists rotting very well.
It's cheap: I just get it at the local Canadian Tire.

Another kind of rope/cord not usually considered, if you can get it, is
awning cord. I think it has some kind of jacket; but, I am pretty sure the
inner core is polyester. It is very smooth and passes through pulleys and
eyelets very easily. I got a bunch at a junk yard.

Polyester marine type ropes are very good too. They are very strong and
flexible, and expensive. Marine fitters have all kinds of rope, and they
will think you have all kinds of money.

I found the main disadvantage of non-polyester ropes was that they either
rotted, or deteriorated in the sunlight over a few years.

roy