[TowerTalk] Nec4

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Tue Jul 5 12:05:58 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:57:41PM -0700, Jim Lux wrote:
> At 08:06 PM 7/4/2005, Roy Thistle wrote:
> >Hi:
> >While reading Jim's (W6RMK) message, my ears perked up when he mentioned
> >NEC4. So I was wondering Jim, are you using the actual Numerical
> >Electromagnetic Code 4,
>
> I'm using the real live NEC4, and one gets it by licensing it from the
> University of California, Lawrence Livermore Lab, for a few hundred bucks,
> assuming you are a "U.S. Person", or have an appropriate export
> license.  If you're interested, I can dig up the URL with all the ordering
> information.  It's pretty straightforward. You tell them you want it, they
> send you a license agreement, you send them a check and the signed
> agreement, Gerry Burke sends you a CD with the software and a paper copy of
> the manual.

The last time I checked (~1998) it was something like $850 unless you
were a university.  Being retired, that was more than I could justify
spending.

I just took a look at the LLNL website
<http://www.llnl.gov/IPandC/technology/software/softwaretitles/nec.php>
and the export controls have been relaxed somewhat.  The current price
is $300 for U.S. educational/non-commercial customers ($500 for non-US).

73,
Bob, N7XY