[TowerTalk] Obstruction Lighting

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 13:59:45 EDT 2005

At 10:22 AM 7/5/2005, paul at w8aef.com wrote:
>I am under the impression that if you run 110 vac to and up the tower the
>work has to be done by a licensed electrician.

Depends on your jurisdiction.  In many jurisdictions, a homeowner can do
work on their own home without requiring a license, although it will need
to be inspected.  You may or may not need a permit.

Also, sometimes, the regulation is written along the lines of "wiring must
be done in accordance with applicable standards and by qualified
persons".  Qualified leaves a lot of wiggle room.  If you're a licensed
ham, that presumes you have at least a nodding acquaintance with Ohm's law,
etc., and may well be as qualified as anyone else.

For instance, many commercial factories and the like have on-site
maintenance staff who do the wiring, and they're not necessarily licensed.

There's a difference between licensure in the contracting sense, and
certification or licensure in the personal qualifications sense.  A
contractor may have a contractor's license, but, in California at least,
that's primarily to assure that they know the laws, can meet financial
responsibility rules, have a defined presence for service of legal process,
etc., and says nothing about competence for the job at hand.

California's laws are changing, by the way, so come 1 Jan 2006, things WILL
change a bit due to AB1087, signed back in 2002.