[TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

Bob Gates regates at kingwoodcable.com
Tue Jul 5 18:54:24 EDT 2005

Kelly,

Wonder not.  The answer is with great difficulty.  I was a construction manager in another life, and, during a major corporate cost-cutting move, head office engineering came out with this spread footing design for our large 48x100+ canopies which employed 6-8 column footings.  I immediately called to ask why the change.  The answer was:  It uses less concrete and reduces cost.  When I pointed out the labor costs involved in hand digging the bottom of the hole, not to mention the cost of shoring up the hole to meet OSHA requirements in the event of a cave-in, the specs were quickly changed back to a 5' square hole, same depth.  Result:  More concrete, significantly less labor and overall cost.  If your XYL likes the nice small footprint, form the hole with plywood and one bys to get the narrower square above grade.

73, Bob W7BJ

  Can someone explain to me how a Pad & Pier Tower Foundation hole is
  dug?  I had never seen a Pad & Pier Foundation Spec until this weekend
  and after seeing it I couldn't help but wonder how you would dig such
  a hole.