[TowerTalk] Bazooka 1/4 wave balun

Jerry K3BZ k3bz at arrl.net
Wed Jul 6 11:51:41 EDT 2005

Tom...read your website, thanks. I'm looking for a good balun at 6M.  I
suppose a 1/4 wave length of braid from an old section of large-diameter
coax could be slid onto 50 ohm coax feedline, but you suggest a greater
spacing than that provided by the coax jacket thickness alone. Couple
questions:

 To provide a larger distance from coax braid to sleeve, would a length of
PVC pipe slid over the coax be a suitable material?  With, say, a 1.5" or 2"
OD? If not, can you suggest something?

Velocity factors for standard coax are available, but how would one
calculate the VF for the sleeve if it's on a 2" OD PVC pipe?

73, Jerry K3BZ