[TowerTalk] Procedure to lower a mast

Dino Darling k6rix at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 8 14:25:01 EDT 2005

Do you have the ability to bolt on a winch at the top of the flat-top?  If
so...

=======================================
Set the antennas to NORTH (or south or east or west) and MARK IT!

Use a shaft clamp (or muffler clamps) to hold the mast from falling down
through the tower.
(McMaster Carr
<http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP?tab=find&context=psrchDtlLink&fasttrack=False&searchstring=6436K27>6436K27
or equivalent)

Connect/secure the winch cable to the bottom of the mast, just above the rotor.
(assuming you have a rotor and not a rotatable tower)

Depending on what type of thrust bearing you have, you will need to loosen
them enough to allow the mast to slip through.  They will also help support
the mast as it goes down.

Bring the mast up with the winch, just enough to remove the rotor.  You can
tie the rotor out of the way or lower it down for inspection since it is out.

Get back up to the flat-top, loosen the shaft clamp and lower the mast with
the winch.  The winch does all the work!

MARK THE BEAM LOCATION ON THE MAST!

Loosen the TH7 and continue to lower the mast.  The mast should slip
through the boom-to-mast clamp.

When you get the mast down far enough to reach your antenna, re-install the
shaft clamp and go to work!

I do not have the advantage of seeing your set up.  Every tower is
different and therefore have different ways of attack.  Use what I've given
above at your own risk and modify as necessary.  When in doubt, hire a
professional!  Be safe!!!