[TowerTalk] Beefing up Aluminum Beam Elements

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Fri Jul 8 17:17:19 EDT 2005

>I wonder if anyone has and comments on strengthening beam elements by
> inserting the next size smaller tubing inside the original there-by
> doubling

That works quite well for the sections near the boom. You can add nylon or
polypropolene rope inside to dampen vibrations as well.  You can go to
larger and stronger tubing which is expensive and will also increase the
wind area.

> the thickness, but not increasing the outside diameter of the elements..
>    I have a Tennadyne Log that just is not physically strong enough to
> last
> out here in the wind and ice of Western Kansas.. I plan to increase the

Michigan also gets its share of ice storms.  When it comes to the wind and
ice I just take the philosophy that anything that survives one of the big
ice storms did so on luck.

In over 45 years as a ham I've only lost a couple of elements and I can
remember my KLM monobanders with the element tips pointed right at the
ground.  I actually didn't lose a thing and even those elements didn't take
a set, but we lost nearly 3/4 of a mile  of power line just to the west of
us.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com