[TowerTalk] Pad and Pier for ROHN SSV. Pad and Pier Foundations

isp@bnjcomp.com isp at bnjcomp.com
Sat Jul 9 12:46:36 EDT 2005

Jim,

I can not argue with much at all regarding your statements.  Except the
engineering costs at 20 hours @ $100 per hour would be abotu 45% the cost of
the tower.
I will probable have a hard time finding a local engineer that understands
all that is needed for a tower.  Being an electrical engineer myself (NOT
EIT certified) and taking a few structural classes and with todays computer
programs  I really can't understand why it would take anyone 10-20 hours to
spit out specs.  You obviously do this and I don't so your knowledge
defintly superseeds mine and I bow down to your experience.   That being
said here is my thought of tower analysis?

1.  I get a soil boring and have it examined by our local founddation soil
sample people.
2.  I send that to engineer which plugs in numbers of soil.  Takes tower
structure and plugs that in.
3.  engineer plugs in numbers for piers.
4.  computer spits outs numbers for various wind loads.
5.  If too small wind load engineer "beefs" up piers and goes to step 3.

Now if I took that to someone who has done towers in past they will have
most of this done and all they really will have to do it change the soil
numbers.  That would cut time drastically.  Yes thier experience level will
proable be double that of the $100/hour engineer but they will solve it in
just a few hours and cost less.

Again I appreciate your insight and remarks and wish not to take away from
them from above.

terry