[TowerTalk] Pad and Pier Foundations

Don Moman ve6jy at 3web.com
Mon Jul 11 18:19:00 EDT 2005

 An alternative base system often used up here (Edmonton, Alberta) is to
screw in some piles, weld up some base feet and put up the tower.  No
waiting for cement to dry.  And the hydraulic  auger unit can weigh a lot
less than a loaded cement  truck, which is another obvious advantage.  Yes
it depends on how far down the bedrock is.  But in the larger sizes, we are
talking some serious pilings with holding power for significant structures
into the hundreds of feet.  I'll be doing a few much smaller systems this
summer using this system, using a homebrew hydraulic drive - gear reduction
and a low rpm hydraulic motor mounted on a front end loader.  It also make
short work of driving in similar anchors for guyed towers.  Haven't used any
cement around here for many years, and don't plan to again.

73 Don
VE6JY