[TowerTalk] [BULK] - soldering 259s to buryflex 9914F

Steve Katz stevek at jmr.com
Tue Jul 12 18:45:33 EDT 2005

I find this stuff very easy to work with - easier than mil standard RG213/U,
actually.  There shouldn't be any "small part between the center conductor
and the braid," although I know what you mean.  I've always found the best
dimension for this area is "0.00."  No dimension.  I use a sharp razor blade
to cut through the black outer jacket, braid, foil and dielectric all in one
rotary cut, and bingo -- it's all gone, leaving only the center conductor
exposed.  Then, I just go down the coax another 1/2" and strip only the
black vinyl jacket, leaving everything else intact.

Screw on the connector, which by such action will push the braid back very
slightly from the original cut end, to expose the braid through the four
solder holes in the connector body once the connector is fully screwed onto
the cable jacket.  Solder the holes, wait a minute, solder the center
conductor -- done.

If it takes more than 60 seconds to do all of this, including stripping the
cable, something's wrong.

I've never had one pull off, short out, or fail in any way and I can do
about 30 an hour this way, just using a razor blade and a hot iron and
solder.  And a damp sponge to cool off the connector body prior to moving it
about!

-WB2WIK/6