[TowerTalk] Relays and shairing antennas

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Tue Jul 12 20:45:02 EDT 2005

I just picked up one of the little Yaesu 897s, which now sets atop my
Hallicrafters station out in the shop.  I have one of the HyGain Patriot
verticals which seems to work reasonably well for what it is, but I'm only
about 40 feet from the base of the tower.  I also happen to have an old
Henry 2K4 sitting near the end of the desk that could be put to good use.

It seems a shame to be running on that little vertical while looking out the
window at the big array and tower.

I've been thinking it'd be nice to be able to run coax over to the junction
box at the base and switch the antennas between the house and shop.  There
is one cable for 160, 75, and 40 that goes to a remote antenna switch at the
top of the tower.  There is also one for the tri-bander, the 6-meter beam,
the 2-meter array, and the 440 array.

I'd like to keep it simple and that would probably mean one relay for each
coax.  I could probably get a second rotator control box and use a transfer
relay for the 8 wires although I could most likely get by with switching
only the power.

Thing is, I don't know where I can find the relays to do the job and
maintain the isolation.  The old "Dow Key" relays would have been just the
thing.  Actually I do have one of those and another that is in a hexagonal
box with coax connectors, but I don't remember the name of that one.  At any
rate those are what I think I need in there.

Any suggestions?

TIA

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com